- is one of the most common injuries in sports and recreation activities
- accounts for 15% of all injuries in youth sports
- is a type of brain injury that is caused by a direct blow to the head or a force transmitted to the head
- Concussion may reduce further participation in sport and physical activity, it can adversely affect future health and can lead to post-concussion syndrome.
What happens to the brain with a concussion?
Biology of concussion
- Starts with stretching and damage of cells, ion movement, neurotransmitter release, short-circuiting of networks
- Brain cells have an energy crisis with changes to the brain wiring, blood flow and reduced neurotransmis